Friday, November 16, 2007

The Train

Last night, I headed home from work a bit later than usual. The crowds on the train were worse than I’d ever seen them before, but I lucked out and got a seat near the window. The crowd continued to grow and seats meant for 3 had 5 to 6 people on them. The aisles were jammed, and it was so hot.

I knew to make my move for the exit early and got up to do so 2 stops before my own. But there was no budging. The passengers were packed so tightly, I couldn’t get anywhere near the exit. As we approached the station, there was a lot of pushing as women tried to work their way to the door. I was completely caught up in the crush, and it really took my breath away. The strap of my purse became entangled with another woman’s arm, and we struggled to separate. Several women told me to push toward the door, but I’m not much of a pusher. I made no progress, and women behind me were anxious about missing their stop. Some people were able to get off, but others got on. When we got closer to my stop, a woman told me firmly, “Madam, you must make your way. No one will help you.” I worked a bit on my pushing skills, but I was completely unsuccessful. I missed my stop and was stuck on the train for another two stops. Fortunately, catching a train in the opposite direction was easy enough. Note to self: Leave work earlier from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home