Thresholds
Earlier this week, I came across an uninvited “guest” in our flat. I’ve named him Herman. He tends to come out at night to visit the kitchen and leaves behind little calling cards. I’m trying to make light of the fact that he’s made himself at home in our place. Truth be told, I was the first out the door when he initially stopped by. Since then, we’ve gotten some advice about sending him on his way.
Today, when I was preparing a green bean casserole for Thanksgiving, I came across Herman again. This time, he was dead in his tracks…literally. Anita, our maid, was here when I spotted him. She swooshed him up in a dustpan and ran out the door. I followed her curious to see where Herman’s final resting place would be. To my surprise, Anita went to a flight of outside stairs and threw him off the 19th floor. I didn’t dare look down to see who might be walking below.
Anita wasn’t fazed by Herman. Neither was the family’s whose shanty I visited in the slum recently. I don't think they bother to name their uninvited guests. I guess it’s just a matter of what you’re used to.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Going Up?
The elevator in the building where Dasra is located is one of those old fashion types. You have to pull two steel gates back to get on or off. The other day when I went to pull the gates back and head up to the 5th floor, a women on the elevator wouldn’t let me on. While I couldn’t understand exactly what she was saying, I did understand that she felt I was not allowed to use the elevator. I wasn’t sure what was going on. I waited for her to go to her floor and then rang for the elevator again. She had stayed on the elevator, however, and came down again to the first floor. She opened the gate to get out and started yelling at me saying, “You will do what you like.” Indeed, I got onto the elevator and headed up feeling pretty clueless. Later, as each member of the staff walked in drenched from the hike up the stairs, I realized I had been lucky!
Dasra is located in an apartment building, and the residents are not pleased with the traffic into and out of the office. Now, they actually put a chain lock on the elevator gate, so we all hike up the stairs and arrive steaming hot. We talked with the landlord who had promised to settle the matter, but no progress yet. I’m going to be in great shape before long.
Today, when I was preparing a green bean casserole for Thanksgiving, I came across Herman again. This time, he was dead in his tracks…literally. Anita, our maid, was here when I spotted him. She swooshed him up in a dustpan and ran out the door. I followed her curious to see where Herman’s final resting place would be. To my surprise, Anita went to a flight of outside stairs and threw him off the 19th floor. I didn’t dare look down to see who might be walking below.
Anita wasn’t fazed by Herman. Neither was the family’s whose shanty I visited in the slum recently. I don't think they bother to name their uninvited guests. I guess it’s just a matter of what you’re used to.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Going Up?
The elevator in the building where Dasra is located is one of those old fashion types. You have to pull two steel gates back to get on or off. The other day when I went to pull the gates back and head up to the 5th floor, a women on the elevator wouldn’t let me on. While I couldn’t understand exactly what she was saying, I did understand that she felt I was not allowed to use the elevator. I wasn’t sure what was going on. I waited for her to go to her floor and then rang for the elevator again. She had stayed on the elevator, however, and came down again to the first floor. She opened the gate to get out and started yelling at me saying, “You will do what you like.” Indeed, I got onto the elevator and headed up feeling pretty clueless. Later, as each member of the staff walked in drenched from the hike up the stairs, I realized I had been lucky!
Dasra is located in an apartment building, and the residents are not pleased with the traffic into and out of the office. Now, they actually put a chain lock on the elevator gate, so we all hike up the stairs and arrive steaming hot. We talked with the landlord who had promised to settle the matter, but no progress yet. I’m going to be in great shape before long.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home