When In Rome.....
This afternoon, Frank and I returned to the world-renown Yoga Institute for our first yoga lessons. We each purchased a series: one month of classes that meet four times a week for one hour. The price is $6 total for each of us and includes additional lectures. (What a bargain!)
Honestly, I know nothing about yoga except that I have family and friends who are very committed to it. So, I'm going into this with an open mind. Frank and I went our separate ways, and I headed upstairs to the women's class. As a true beginner, and one who doesn't speak Hindi, I was assigned a personal instructor who sat with me and showed me three assans (not sure really how that's spelled or pronounced). I practiced breathing and being focused, which was really hard because I wanted to look around and see what others were up to. I also was having a hard time disconnecting from my work, which I think about a lot. Anyway, I made progress during the session, and then it came to the closing exercise. So, perhaps those of you familiar with yoga can tell me if what happened next is customary. I sure wasn't prepared for it.
My instructor calmly explained that our next activity was to clean our nasal passages. (What in the world?) She provided a step-by-step description of how this is done, and I sat there thinking this wasn't really my thing. Ok, for those of you who get turned off by stuff easily, maybe you should skip this part. For others who will appreciate my going ahead with this, read on!
First, cleaning one's nasal passages is important (and especially so in Mumbai where the pollution is extreme). Doing so fights off colds, infections, asthma, and whatever else ails you. Ok, since I'm getting over a cold, this is sounding like a good idea! The process is pretty straight forward. She led me outside behind the building (and it's dark and I'm barefoot). We stop at a row of sinks, and she tells me to wash my hands...no soap available, but I make a good effort. Then she presents me with a pitcher of warm water. I am supposed to cup one hand to catch the water as she pours it, block one nostril with the other hand, and then take in the water through my nose. Then, I need to quickly tilt my head back so the water goes down into my throat, and I can then spit it out in the sink. (I'm sure if anyone saw my face as she explained this, they'd realize I'm seriously considering that I've had enough yoga for the day...perhaps forever. But, I'm here to try new things, so here goes.) Before going ahead, I told my instructor that I was concerned about the water's not being filtered. She assured me that it was.
I got through it just fine, and I thought to myself that perhaps it was good that it was dark so I couldn't see the sink or what's around it. My nasal passages are now squeeky clean, and I'm breathing very nicely, thank you. She told me I'm to do this once a day to assure the full benefits. (Would my favorite ENT docs please chime in and let me know if it's a good idea, please?) Ok, so no photos of this! All in all, I enjoyed the class and Frank enjoyed his session too.
Meanwhile, work is going well. I've been working on a Web site redesign (sounds familiar?)! I'm also developing communications and public relations plans. There is a lot to do, and I've been pretty focused.
Frank is working on a project that will hopefully lead to expanding the use of toilets in rural areas. He's promised to provide material for posting about that tomorrow.
Ok, off to practice my assans and then continue to work on prepping for my first case study next week.
Honestly, I know nothing about yoga except that I have family and friends who are very committed to it. So, I'm going into this with an open mind. Frank and I went our separate ways, and I headed upstairs to the women's class. As a true beginner, and one who doesn't speak Hindi, I was assigned a personal instructor who sat with me and showed me three assans (not sure really how that's spelled or pronounced). I practiced breathing and being focused, which was really hard because I wanted to look around and see what others were up to. I also was having a hard time disconnecting from my work, which I think about a lot. Anyway, I made progress during the session, and then it came to the closing exercise. So, perhaps those of you familiar with yoga can tell me if what happened next is customary. I sure wasn't prepared for it.
My instructor calmly explained that our next activity was to clean our nasal passages. (What in the world?) She provided a step-by-step description of how this is done, and I sat there thinking this wasn't really my thing. Ok, for those of you who get turned off by stuff easily, maybe you should skip this part. For others who will appreciate my going ahead with this, read on!
First, cleaning one's nasal passages is important (and especially so in Mumbai where the pollution is extreme). Doing so fights off colds, infections, asthma, and whatever else ails you. Ok, since I'm getting over a cold, this is sounding like a good idea! The process is pretty straight forward. She led me outside behind the building (and it's dark and I'm barefoot). We stop at a row of sinks, and she tells me to wash my hands...no soap available, but I make a good effort. Then she presents me with a pitcher of warm water. I am supposed to cup one hand to catch the water as she pours it, block one nostril with the other hand, and then take in the water through my nose. Then, I need to quickly tilt my head back so the water goes down into my throat, and I can then spit it out in the sink. (I'm sure if anyone saw my face as she explained this, they'd realize I'm seriously considering that I've had enough yoga for the day...perhaps forever. But, I'm here to try new things, so here goes.) Before going ahead, I told my instructor that I was concerned about the water's not being filtered. She assured me that it was.
I got through it just fine, and I thought to myself that perhaps it was good that it was dark so I couldn't see the sink or what's around it. My nasal passages are now squeeky clean, and I'm breathing very nicely, thank you. She told me I'm to do this once a day to assure the full benefits. (Would my favorite ENT docs please chime in and let me know if it's a good idea, please?) Ok, so no photos of this! All in all, I enjoyed the class and Frank enjoyed his session too.
Meanwhile, work is going well. I've been working on a Web site redesign (sounds familiar?)! I'm also developing communications and public relations plans. There is a lot to do, and I've been pretty focused.
Frank is working on a project that will hopefully lead to expanding the use of toilets in rural areas. He's promised to provide material for posting about that tomorrow.
Ok, off to practice my assans and then continue to work on prepping for my first case study next week.

2 Comments:
mommy, wow, this is not what i expected you to encounter when you started yoga, but i'm SO glad you liked it, and keep it up! and practice mindfulness and breathing during the day! we both need to teach our brains how to relax and not think about work while relaxing! :) love you!
Hi Audrey,
David and I are enjoying reading your blog. What an experience for you. Looking forward to reading more....
Take care,
Varsha
Post a Comment
<< Home